Navigation

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Good Night, Sweet Prince.

The world lost one of its best and brightest comedians today.

The article came across my Facebook Feed for the first time around 7pm today.  At first, I thought it must be a joke.  Another hoax.  A quick check of Wikipedia (America's most trusted news source) confirmed that actor Robin Williams had passed away at the age of 63.

The high energy comedian reportedly had been suffering with depression recently, and lost his battle today, ending his own life.

Soon after, my newsfeed was flooded with pictures and video clips of the prolific talent.  As for myself, I am numb.  Shocked, even.

I don't think I've ever felt such a deep, profound loss for someone I did not know.  For a man that I never met.

My heart goes out to Williams' family and friends who have asked for privacy in this time of great tragedy.  Whatever it is that we, the masses of kids who grew up with him, the fans that clamored into his live shows, the people who saw his movies twenty times, have lost, is nothing compared to what his loved ones have lost.  It is as important to remember that, as it is to remember him.

Though Williams is likely best known by my generation as Mrs. Doubtfire, he was also a great philanthropist, working with the USO and St. Jude's, among other organizations.

It's a shame that so many people, particularly great talents like Williams, suffer from such deep, dark demons.  It's even sadder when they feel as though they can no longer battle the darkness, and have no choice but to give in.

To quote Felicia Day: "It's tragic to realize that no matter how we portray ourselves on the outside, anything can be happening on this inside."

Depression is not just feeling bummed out.  Depression isn't just feeling sad.  Depression is a deep, dark sickness that takes a hold of you and won't let go.  It is torture like no other.

Though the world will keep moving, and many of us will forget this in a month or two, nothing changes the fact that what we have lost today was the voice of a generation, a talent that will never be matched, and man who can never be replaced.  Wherever he is, I hope he has found peace at last.  My heart is with his loved ones as they struggle with this terrible loss.

Good night, sweet prince.