Navigation

Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Regarding Caitlyn Jenner

I normally give exactly 0 shits about any member of the Kardashian Clan, but I I have spent the last two days shaking my head at what I've been reading.

"Bruce 'Caitlyn' Jenner is no hero.  The real heroes are cops/soldiers/firefighters/etc."

I feel what she has done takes a certain amount of bravery, and certainly makes her a hero to those in this world who still feel the need to hide what they feel inside for fear of scorn or ridicule.

The amount of hateful, ignorant bigotry I have see from friends and (thankfully distant) family members on my Facebook page has made me disgusted and angry. I hope that those of you that follow me here are more open minded and loving of your fellow humans.

While I personally do not understand what it means to be a trans-gendered individual, and everything that it entails, I have the compassion to understand the struggle it must entail. I do not live it, but I empathize with it. I do know what it is to be different, to be misunderstood, not to feel as though you fit in, to feel wrong, and not know why.

For a long time, I was living my life the wrong way, taking my anger and my feelings of impotence out on other people.

I know what that did to me inside, and I know how free I finally felt when I figured out what my path in life was.

I imagine still feeling like that, and then having a loud vocal chunk of society telling me I was a freak, I was an abomination, I was disgusting and throwing various other slurs at me while I tried to find my footing. Then I imagine someone famous coming out and saying "Hey, I have the same problem. I'm navigating my way through it just like you."

That person would be a hero to me.

Perhaps you have always known who you want to be in life, and perhaps you have never known what it is like to feel so lost. Good for you.  I doubt anyone reading this can make that claim, but if you can, I congratulate you and I implore you to share your secret.

Or Perhaps you have felt lost, but you have a support system. Or perhaps you found your way on you own. Whatever you did, you can take pride in that journey. That what you accomplished is something worthy of being proud of.  This is your story.  You did that.

 What right do you have to deny someone else that right?

Because it's in the bible?

Can you please show me where exactly Jesus said that being trans-gendered is an abomination. Show me where he said being gay is an abomination.

And if you cite that piece of trash Leviticus, you'd better be damned sure you're following all the rest of those other rules.

You know, no shellfish, no mixed fabrics (like Polyester) , no shaving, or sex before marriage.

Despite that, I know it's also condemned in the new testament.  To that, I say:

The Bible may be the word of God, but it was still written by Man and if history has taught us anything, it's that man's fuck ups and crimes against his fellows knows no bounds.

So, no matter what you believe about Caitlyn Jenner, Caitlyn Jenner is still a human being, who has made the decision to live her life as a woman.

Caitlyn Jenner and many others like her struggle every day against hatred, bigotry, bullying and violence. She is not fighting in Iraq. She is not a cop. She is not a firefighter. But she is dealing with some of the shittiest kind of human behavior with grace, dignity and charisma.

... That's more than I can say for the bulk of her detractors.

That makes her a hero to me. Are you so afraid that being kind might make you "gay" that you feel the need to be cruel? Get over yourself. The gays don't want you.

If you feel the need to bash Caitlyn Jenner, then you need to unfriend/unfollow/delete/get away from  me, right now.